Here it is. Only in Australia would a quilt be held up getting photographed on a 43C/109F day!!!
So named because of what my mother said when she saw it on the ironing board half completed. She went on to say that the colours were “so kitcheny and cottage-y” and it killed all desire in me to finish this project. So I basted it and it sat on my dining room table for 4 months.
A couple of weeks ago I was chatting with Evan4 and I said something about finishing it and giving it away to someone and he looked at me as if I was mad.
“Are you mad?” he said. “I like this one the best out of all you’ve made.”
So, due both to him and my deep longing to tidy up the dining room table, I finished it.
But this quilt has had a hex on it. NOTHING has gone right.
Most people who’ve made this have just quilted in straight lines around the squares and it looks beautifully simple and streamlined. Most people actually read the instructions Amanda-Jean put down and made sure that their blocks actually line up properly. Some of mine are slightly askew, so straight line quilting was out of the question. You’d be able to see on the back where I’d had to go crooked to keep my lines around the squares, and you can’t have the stitching on the back looking wonky now, can you? I had no idea how to quilt this beast, but after making the rainbow quilt for Jesse a couple of weeks ago, I decided to use the same swirly quilt stitch for this quilt. So far so good. I took it from the table and unfurled it. Then gasped in horror.
On one of the outer WHITE sashings there was a huge brown stain.
I have no photo. It was too traumatic. It stuck out like dog’s…. well, you know what I mean. I was horrified. How could this have happened? Then my mighty intellect started kicking over and I thought of bleach. Bleach makes things whiter than white, right? So I raced to the laundry, grabbed the bleach and a rag, and started enthusiastically dabbing away at the stain.
It worked! The stain disappeared. Then, and only then, did I think of seepage. I turned the quilt over and there on the back was this…
This photo was taken later, after the quilting and the ‘fix’ I had to do. Because the pain wasn’t over yet…
Straight away after the bleach disaster I decided to stop dwelling on the mess and start quilting. The front of the quilt was what was important, and I’d put a label or something over the bleached out patch on the back… or maybe even leave it as a salutory warning not to jump into things with both feet. So I quilted happily away for the rest of the day.
The next morning when I unwrapped it, ready to put binding on it… the brown stain was back. Bleached bright yellow. I sighed in horror.