Yesterday was a busy day in the garden here. I decided to FINALLY put together the wicking beds.
Remember when I said that I wasn’t happy with the materials they’d sent me? On Wednesday I went down and had a word to them. I was a bit nervous about going to see them, because I hate confrontation, but they couldn’t have been nicer. I drove home, loaded to the gills with more plastic and geotextile (they even let me keep the old stuff) so I was ready to get started! August is seed starting month for a lot of plants, so my time for faffing around is running out.
Here is where I was wrapping the flocells with the geotextile.
Do you know how many buckets of sand it takes to cover the flocells in a 3m long garden bed?
Well, I don’t know either but it’s a lot.
Do you know how many previously underused muscles it takes to do this task?
Many. Many many muscles.
Here’s my ingenious method of attaching the filler-upperer pipe to the flocells. Works a treat.
Here was when I was testing it out. It all seemed to work as it should, so I danced a little jig.
I haven’t bought the soil for the beds yet, so I covered the sand with straw to keep the water in. Then I packed up and went to the staff function… a river cruise and then dinner and dancing at the Richmond boat sheds.
This last shot is of the ‘lollies’ I give my chooks. I mix black sunflower seeds with cracked corn (because the corn is cheaper so it goes further) and the chooks love it. Yesterday I planted some of the sunflower seeds around the plum trees and in a pot that has a few stray onions in it. I figure that if I’m lucky I’ll get sunflower seeds for the gerls for free, and if nothing happens then it doesn’t matter.
Today is more seed planting and the August meeting of the gardening club. Life is pretty damned fine at the moment!