My goodness this one took a long time! It’s huge too… 90″ X 90″ (229cm X 229cm)
I bought a couple of sets of assorted hand-dyed batik charm squares from Malka back in 2008 because I love the way she uses fabric saturated in colour, then they sat in the stash until just after Christmas last year. I’d made the Sister Quilts and I was still in love with HSTs. Then I saw this pattern.
I adapted the pattern to fit the larger size of my triangles, which meant that this quilt grew to be the size of a Queen bed quilt. This wasn’t what I wanted but one has to cut one’s quilt to fit one’s cloth. We went to Inverloch for a holiday in the late part of the summer, where I pieced the top. My brother-in-law came up as well, bringing his two girls and we brought along David2’s mate Dan. As luck would have it, when I was putting the whole quilt together, I chose fabrics from the stash that symbolise that holiday.
There’s a strip of brown fabric that comes from Dan’s quilt that I made for him a couple of years ago, and I used some car fabric on the binding. I did a lot of driving that holiday. David2 forgot his medication, so I had to drive back to Melbourne to get it, then drive back straight away. I made it back before three of the boys even made it out of bed!
Hence, the “Inverloch” quilt.
Then I went to Craft Camp in March and used the big table there to baste this beast. Then it sat unregarded and untouched until now.
I’m a “finisher”. It’s rare that I leave things uncompleted, though now that I’ve said that I have unpleasant memories of a hand sewn quilt top that i haven’t touched for about 3 years.
She wanted an effect of a block within a block, so this is my interpretation. I hope she likes it.
Now on with the Teddy Bear quilt! Only a week of holidays to go…