Morning everyone! What a lovely day it’s going to be here!
Here’s a quick snap of the “mystery plants” that I planted in the driveway wicking beds and then couldn’t remember what they were. They love it with all the access to water so I think I can say that this little experiment was a success.
Most of my tomatoes are still not doing anything much, but the Amish Paste in the wicking bed has been very happy. Here’s this morning’s yield. I’ll definitely be growing this variety again.
One thing that made me happy yesterday was that I didn’t come home after work till 10PM because i went out for drinks and dinner with some people from work. When I got home I saw that David18 had made himself dinner using eggs he’d collected and beans that he’d gone out and picked himself. I know it’s only a little thing, but it made me feel all warm and Caroline Ingalls-y.
And now for this week’s reporting of the Independence Days Challenge.
Not particularly impressive this week. It was the first week back at work after the summer holidays and my focus was on that and the new thermomix business. Still, dribs and drabs got done.
1. Plant Something: oops. nothing.
2. Harvest Something: beans, strawberries, warrigal greens, tomatoes, mint, lemon balm, eggs
3. Preserve Something: … yeah… um…. about that…
4. Waste not: past use-by cream into icecream; veggie scraps to worms; other scraps to dogs and chooks; excess zucchini used in pasta dish.
5. Want not: not really sure about this category. Didn’t buy anything to put in food storage or anything, but held a thermomix demo to start my business to earn more money for my family so we won’t “want” for Evan15’s braces. (Don’t think that counts though!)
6. Eat the food: jam, veggie stock paste, beans, all the harvested food this week,
7. Build Community: gave some jam to Mick. (I don’t know what I’ll do for this category when the jam is all gone.. it seems to be my default action.)