After two wing clippings, my very expensive Laveneder Araucanas were up in teh tree again this morning.
I’ve locked the in a cage for the day and I’m thinking I need a guy with a chainsaw to undercut the mystery tree in the chook run to make it more difficult for them to get up there. It wouldn’t matter so much but they cost $30 each and they’re surrounded on all sides by dogs, so they wouldn’t last very long if they decided to fly over a fence to get away from the other gerls. Plus I really want those bluey-green eggs.
I covered one of the little driveway wicking beds with bedding from the chook coop, straw and them planted a whole heap of pea seeds that Mick from the gardening club gave me last year. I don’t like broad beans so I thought that this would make a better nitrogen fixer for our family. I wasn’t sure if the peas would be able to get past all of the shredded newspaper but yesterday they poked their heads through. Very exciting.
Garlic’s up too!
I planted the second driveway wicking bed with a square from the One Magic Square book. In one corner is radish (already up), below them are turnips, then there’s garlic along the bottom and in the bottom left corner and beetroot (and a stray silver beet plant) in the top left.
With regards to my whinge about the cancelled demo, I got on the phone and rang a few people. I’ve replaced the demo AND booked a few more for May. Sometimes these things turn out to be a blessing in disguise!