The first official Independence Days Challenge week. How did we go?
1. Plant something:
1. Good King Henry.
2. Harvest something:
1. Peaches. 2. Purple striped beans. 3. Warrigal Greeens. 4. Zucchini. 5 The first strawberry. 6. Silver beet. 7. Mint. 8. Tomatoes.
3. Preserve Something:
1.Peaches that the birds pecked were dehydrated. Yum!
4. Waste Not: This one will be an easy one every week.
1.Compost and feeding waste food to chooks and worms.
5. Want Not:……
6. Cook Something New:
1. Vegetarian Lasagne. (YUM)
2. Zucchini and Feta Tart An absolute winner.
3. Pumpkin, Feta and Caramelised Onion tart. First time I’ve caramelised onions in the thermomix. Very exciting. I didn’t mind this recipe but the boys didn’t like the pumpkin. Number 2 tart was far better.
4. Pumpkin and Apple muffins. Really nice.
7. Manage Your Reserves:
1. Used jam that has been sitting in the pantry for 2 years since I made it (only David21 likes to eat jam… I don’t know what I was thinking when I made 20 jars of it!) to make fruit ‘roll-ups’ in the dehydrator.
8. Work on local food systems.
Thermomix Recipe: Coconut Chicken curry. I’ve never really made a lot of curries and I want to get into it more this year. This one looks really nice.