I was going into the city for an excursion with my year 12 Theatre Studies class and I had to get to work early. I was running late (no surprise there…) and had no time to spend on making an elaborate lunch. I raced out to pick an apple from my Ballerina ‘Polka’ tree. I’ve been eating the Granny Smith and Pink Lady apples, but I’d left these ones alone until now as they were well hidden from the lorigkeets and I wanted them to get bigger.
As I picked one, another fell to the ground. ‘Fine,’ I thought. ‘I’ll have two apples and a couple of hard boiled eggs for lunch.’ After the show, I grabbed one of the apples from my bag as I was walking back to the station and took a bite.
OMG. I have honestly never tasted a nicer apple. It had a fizzz of a pink lady and it was very slightly tart. The texture was amazing, which you’d expect of any fruit that had been alive only 4 hours before. I thought my lunch was going to be slightly sad and deprived, but I relished every bite. 🙂 I’m seriously going to buy more of these trees.
Have a look at this story from Karen at Edible Eden. She’s the one who’s designed my front yard food forest. (After Europe; watch it happen!) This is her garden.
Independence Days Challenge:
1. Plant Something:
2. Harvest Something: 1. Eggs 2. Warrigal Greens. 3. Rosemary. 4. Apple Cucumbers 5. Apples. 6. Tomatoes 7. Capsicum 8. Parsley 9. Sage 10. Bay leaf
3. Preserve Something: 1. Dried lime verbena leaves.
4. Waste Not: 1. Three bananas are going yuck. Using them up in baking.
5. Want Not: 1. Opened up the potato cupboard and caught a whiff of Something Not Quite Right. Found one spud in the bag that’d gone, so washed all the others and used lots in a roast that night. Also used up every skerrick of veggies in the same roast because I was going shopping the next day.
6. Cook Something New: 1. The Muesli slice from ‘In The Mix’. Excellent for Uni lunches. Tastes really good. 2. Dog biscuits (Peanut butter, banana and oat) when I had to use up some bananas.
7. Manage Your Reserves: 1. Delayed going shopping till we were dangerously low in things like shampoo and toilet paper. Used up quite a bit of food. 🙂 2. Rotated my stock of tomato tins.
Thermomix recipe: See the link to the dog biscuits above.