Feel free to contact me on firstname.lastname@example.org
I'm a thermomix consultant, as well as a teacher, so this is why you'll get a recipe with every post. Happy to chat with anyone thinking about investing in a thermomix and/or becoming a consultant. I can't imagine life without mine!
Here’s the quilt I started at Craft Camp. I worked for 3 solid days on it and left with 3 sides of the binding still to do.
It’s for Gim at work. She wanted a lap quilt for her husband. He already has a blanket thing that he uses for lounging on the couch, but it’s looking a bit shabby. She measured it, chose a design from this blog, bought the fabric and then crossed her fingers and let me loose on it. Thankfully, it was slightly smaller than the original. It took me about a year to make the one for myself.
This time I did something different. I’ve always hand stitched the binding on my quilts, which takes roughly an hour or so each side. When I went to Andi’s craft group she showed me how she machine sewed her quilt bindings. Then I went to Craft Camp and saw Magda complete 2 baby quilts with the machine-sewing-binding technique that Janet showed her.
Clearly the universe was trying to tell me something. However, me being me, I attempted it and came up with a totally different technique than the others, but I love how it looks. I think I’ve discovered the new way I’ll always finish off my quilts.
I attached the binding in the usual way, folded it over and carefully pinned so that the back binding overlaps the stitching on the front (which is what you do anyway when hand stitching), then slowly machine stitched with the front of the quilt facing me and sewed the binding on.
See? I had cotton that blended in beautifully with the binding, and because it’s just on the edge, you hardly see it at all.
This is how it appears from the back. There were a few little spots where the binding didn’t catch, so I just hand sewed up those. This technique probably saved me a good 3 hours and it looks really good. You still have the uninterupted look of the binding curving around over the edge of the quilt and the top of the quilt has no stitching running around the edge. I’m really pleased…. but I can’t take any credit for it. It was just me mucking up what Janet told me to do, then deciding to go ahead anyway.
I’m taking the quilt in to work this morning to hand it over. I hope she’ll be pleased with how it worked out.